Self-isolation support payments

You are here

If you are on a low income and are unable to work because you have been told by NHS Test and Trace that you have to self-isolate, you may be eligible for a lump sum payment of £500 as part of the Government’s Test and Trace Support Payment scheme.

Who will be eligible?

To be eligible you must:

  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has; and
  • be employed or self-employed; and
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result

You also need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

Discretionary fund payment

The government has also provided limited funding for discretionary awards to be made if you do not meet the criteria above.

 Discretionary Support Payment Guide

To be eligible for a discretionary fund payment you:

  • must have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has; and
  • must be employed or self-employed; and
  • must be unable to work from home; and
  • will lose income as a result of undertaking self-isolation

Providing you are :

  • Not currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or income-based Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and or Pension Credit; and 
  • Earning less than £19,200 gross per annum as a single person or £37,400 per annum as a couple or single parent household; and 
  • Have less than £3000 in household savings

How to apply

To apply for a self-isolation support payment, please complete the online application form.

Apply now

As the scheme launched on Monday 28 September 2020, individuals eligible on or after 28 September will be able to make a backdated claim.

What evidence will I need to provide when making an application?

You will need to provide us with the following supporting evidence:

  • a notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a Unique ID number); and
  • a bank statement; and
  • proof of employment/earnings, or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact

What information will I need when making an application?

Before you make an application make sure you have the following information:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your contact telephone numbers including a working mobile number
  • full names, dates of birth and national insurance numbers for everyone living in your household
  • your current full address and postcode
  • details of benefits you receive and how much you get
  • details of your employment
  • A bank statement
  • your unique ID number as provided by the NHS Test & Trace

How will payments be made?

Payments will be made by bank transfer to the bank account matching the bank statement provided as part of your proof of eligibility

Will these payments be taxed?

These payments will be subject to income tax. They will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 31 March 2021. During this time, government will continue to review the scheme.

How many times can I apply?

A claim can be made for each period of self-isolation required. All eligibility criteria must be met and supporting evidence provided.

The self-isolation period for which you are claiming cannot overlap with a previous self-isolation period.

How quickly will I receive the payment?

Within 3 working days of the evidence being verified by our team.

Can a bank take this to pay my overdraft?

No, banks are not allowed to use this payment or any other benefit to repay an overdraft. But you'll need to contact your bank directly as soon as possible to protect the payment. This protection is called a 'First Right of Appropriation of Funds Order'. Read more about the Right of Appropriation

Do I qualify if I have been told by the official NHS COVID-19 contact tracing app to self-isolate?

No. Users of the official NHS COVID-19 contact tracing app are anonymous, so the notification to self-isolate cannot be verified by the local authority. It is likely, however, that if the app advises you to self-isolate because you have come into close contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus, then you will also be contacted officially by NHS Test and Trace at some point. Once you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace and told to self-isolate, you will meet the conditions to quality for this payment, and will be given the eight-digit code you need in order to apply.

If you apply, we will need to process your personal data to assess whether you are eligible to receive financial support, and if so, to provide a payment to you. Read our self-isolation payment privacy notice to find out what personal data we will use, how we will use it, and why we need to.

Further help available 

Whether you meet the criteria or not set by Government, there is help available for those facing financial difficulty or needing support. The Suffolk Advice and Support Service helps people across the county access information or support relating to debt, benefits, housing or employment. You can contact the service on 0800 068 3131 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday or visit Suffolk Advice and Support Service.